|Project title||Global Climate Change Alliance + EU – Support Facility|
|Location||Brussels region, Belgium|
|Expert profile||Various consultants in the field of mitigation/support to NDC activities|
|Assignment duration||until August 2021|
|Deadline for application||13 march 2018|
The EU funded Global Climate Change Alliance (GCCA/GCCA+) flagship has served as a platform for dialogue, exchange, and practical cooperation since 2008.To ensure progress towards its mission to address the challenges of global poverty and climate change GCCA+ is based on two mutually reinforcing pillars:
On one hand, it acts as a platform for policy dialogue and knowledge exchange, fostering the transfer of experiences and lessons learned on climate change at the global, regional and national level between the European Union and developing countries. On the other hand, it provides a source of technical and financial support to assist in the implementation of climate-related country or regional programmes. This support is concentrated under the following priority areas: mainstreaming climate change into poverty reduction and development efforts, mitigation and adaptation to climate change, and disaster risk reduction. Partner countries, under this second pillar, are also supported in their efforts to develop and implement Nationally Determined Contributions submitted in the framework of the Paris Agreement and UNFCCC.
In this context, teams are mobilized for:
- Identification and formulation of climate mitigation actions with adaptation co-benefits;
- Support institutional capacity for implementation, monitoring and reporting (MRV) on climate actions and climate finance at country level.
The implications of the initiative are far-reaching across the sector because it’s influence touches on adaptation to climate change, integrating climate change into poverty reduction efforts, disaster risk reduction, reducing emissions from land use management, and deforestation and forest degradation. It also encourages implementation of integrated sectoral mitigation and adaptation efforts for climate resilience through demand-driven technical support and policy dialogue. Developing countries and regions, with a focus on LDCs and SIDS, are the targeted groups.
If tackling climate change and poverty is a fight you are passionate to take part in, then we welcome you to apply now. We are regularly looking for dedicated professionals combining technical and policy experience in the fight against climate change in the developing countries.
Today we are looking for an:
Advisor (m/f) for the mitigation/support to NDC activities of the Global Climate Change Alliance + EU – Support Facility
In this advisory role you will be the main counterpart of the European Commission, responsible for ensuring that high quality deliverables are provided by the Facility. Tasks will include:
- Performing advisory tasks, in-country technical assistance, and coordination tasks which will include, inter alia, the provision of quality support and technical assistance services (remote assistance and/or field-missions);
- Providing the strategic vision of the assignment in relation to how the GCCA+ initiative will support national efforts to develop and implement the NDC under the Paris Agreement and UNFCCC framework, in line with the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs.
- Supervising and coordinating the input of two additional key experts and short-term non-key experts as required;
- Advising on the identification and implementation of activities in relation to the GCCA+ activities, aimed at integration of mitigation/NDC support aspect into the global support facility mandate and services.
We are on the lookout for a professional who is ready to join a dedicated team of international experts, working to support the delivery of one of the most important initiatives of the European Commission – addressing climate change challenges in developing countries. The specific qualities we are looking for this person to bring to the team are:
- An outstanding knowledge and experience in climate change and development nexus issues. Examples of relevant information include the negotiations under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and the related strategies, such National Adaptation Planning process (NAPs) and Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs); processes such as the Clean Development Mechanism (DCM) and Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs); or the resilience and disaster risk international agenda;
- A good understanding of EU development assistance and/or EU Member States financing mechanisms for development and financial regulations. Governing their budgets is an asset;
- A sound knowledge policy-making, reform and planning processes, with experience of participatory and consultative processes in those fields including facilitating workshops and stakeholder consultations. Familiarity with policy analysis, socio-economic modelling and impact analysis is a plus;
- A University Degree in natural resources management, development economics, social and economic sciences, environmental engineering, urban engineering or equivalent;
- Work experience with international donors and other public, non-state or private actors in developing countries;
- At least 10 years of professional experience in project management and have performed at least 3 years as team leader in international development projects;
- At least 6 years in managing consultancy works in the area of climate, environment and natural resources and sustainable urban development/planning;
- Work experience in different regions and/or countries that are relevant to the GCCA+, particularly Small Island Developing States (SIDS) and Least Developed Countries (LDC).
- Demonstrable capability for strategic thinking and excellent organizational, coordination, communication and drafting skills;
- An ability to take initiative in a fast track and multi-cultural environment to work proactively and efficiently in a team;
- An ability to fluently speak and write in English and French.
All applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the reference 2018GCCA+ in the subject.