Assistance and Technical Support for the Evaluation of LIFE proposals
Assessing the proposals for the EU’s main funding instrument for protection of the environment
European Commission | Brussels, Belgium
Since 1992, LIFE has co-financed over 4,000 environmental and nature conservation projects in all of the 28 Member States of the European Union, supporting the development and implementation of EU environmental and climate policy. The programme, which was recently renewed with a budget of €3.4 billion for the period between 2014 and 2020, aims to contribute to the achievement of the objectives and targets of the Europe 2020 Strategy as well as the EU’s environment and climate strategies and plans.
The thematic areas of LIFE include:
- Nature and Biodiversity
- Environment and Resource Efficiency
- Environmental Governance and Information
- Climate Change Mitigation
- Climate Change Adaptation
- Climate Governance and Information
In addition, the LIFE programme supports non-profit making entities that are primarily active in the field of environment or climate action and are involved in the development, implementation and enforcement of Union policy and legislation. These annual Operating Grants for NGOs support certain operational and administrative costs of the organisations.
The European Commission annually receives over 1,000 proposals for projects with European added value in the field of nature and biodiversity, environment, resource efficiency and climate action. MWH provides assistance and technical support in order to ensure a fully independent, fair and transparent evaluation process for these proposals submitted under the LIFE annual calls for action grants (all thematic areas) and operating grants for European Environmental NGOs.
Specific tasks for which MWH is responsible, are:
- Constitution and management of expert groups for each thematic area
- Evaluation and revision of LIFE action grant proposals in all thematic areas
- Evaluation and revision of LIFE NGOs’ operating grant proposals
- Assessment of Integrated Projects and Technical Assistance Proposals
The objectives of the LIFE programme are:
- to contribute to the shift towards a resource-efficient, low-carbon and climate-resilient economy, to the protection and improvement of the quality of the environment and to halting and reversing biodiversity loss, including the support of the Natura 2000 network and tackling the degradation of ecosystems;
- to improve the development, implementation and enforcement of Union environmental and climate policy and legislation, and to act as a catalyst for, and promote, the integration and mainstreaming of environmental and climate objectives into other Union policies and public and private sector practice, including by increasing the public and private sector’s capacity;
- to support better environmental and climate governance at all levels, including better involvement of civil society, NGOs and local actors;
- to support the implementation of the 7th Environment Action Programme.
and likely more proposals will be evaluated by MWH annually.
Member States of the European Union are covered.
billion euro is the budget for the LIFE Programme for the next funding period, 2014–2020.
Project Solution / Result
- More than 1,300 proposals evaluated throughout all phases of the evaluation process: technical selection, award criteria, admissibility & eligibility and financial selection.
- Revision of proposals in direct contact with applicants undertaken for more than 124 proposals.
- Out of the 1300 proposals, 52% were submitted under Environment and Resource efficiency, 52%
- 22% under Nature and Biodiversity, 22%
- 15% under Climate action, 15%
- and 11% under Environmental Governance and Information. 11%